The new Nikon 58mm f1.4, based on the legendary ?Noct Nikkor?, is quite deliberately designed for creamy bokeh and smooth fall off and not pure sharpness. Seems a lot like what you describe.

I was quite intrigued by this lens, so Nikon India, at my request, are sending me a demo to try out next week.

Cheers
Jayanand

Sent from my iPad