Subject: [Leica] ILFORD Pan 400
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2017 07:17:32 -0400

Iford made for decades Pan F which is iso 50. Or had made.
They made Fp4 iso 100 as well for its medium speed spread.
And HP5 the 400-version replaced HP4 40 years ago.
In the white box.
In the early 90?s as a response to Kodak?s invention and manufacture of tab
grain films as in T-Max 100 T-Max 400 and T-Max P3200 in the yellow boxes
Ilford came out with the Delta series in 100, 400 and 3200 tab grain films.
Most people, photographers or serious shooters both in person and on the
internet vastly preferred the Ilford Delta over the Kodak T-max series but I
did know a guy who still shot T-max 100 and lived.
But then Fuji came out with their Neopan series and I switched to those.
Green boxes.  It again came in 100, 400 and the 1600 I always shot walking
around on location photography.
I shot 100 in the studio and barely used the 400 for anything; ever. And I
think it was not a tab grain film the 400.
Its 1600 film in green box had better grain and sharpness than Tri-x in D76
1:1 two stops faster and not a push. (in Xtol 1:3) but also was impressive
other developers as in ?whole new thing?.
The 100-speed film had the added designation ACROS on it. Neopan ACROS 100.
It is still made. Rolled gold. Better than Pan f 50.   I see the 400 is not
made any more a no mention of the 1600 which I doubt is still being made.
There are all kinds of B&W films made by small little countries, The Duchy
of Grand Fenwick is one you can see them on the Adorama website and B&H
website and other places. But there is an initiation fee and you must kill a
wild Elk with your bare hands.

Ilford and Kodak 3200 were super-fast films which were really 1600 in most
developers.
Just like the Neopan which said 1600 on the green box and really was 1600.
Not P for push 1600.
I thought Fuji had the resources to continue with film more so than Ilford
and Kodak but wrong again.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 7/2/17, 3:36 AM, "LUG on behalf of Gerry Walden"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
gerry.walden at icloud.com> wrote:

    Personally I had never heard of this film, and an Internet search seems
to indicate it is an alternative version of HP5+, a film that I never liked
very much because of its large grain. It seems to be that Pan 400 is only
marketed in certain areas. I personally prefer T-grain films and in
particular the films made by Fuji. I have found their Neopan range,
including the 1600iso and the C-41 versions, very good and scan easily. As
always, these things are down to personal taste, and the Kodak T-Max range
and Tri-X have always been popular choices.

    Gerry

    Gerry Walden LRPS
    www.gwpics.com
    +44 (0)23 8046 3076 or
    +44 (0)797 287 7932

    > On 2 Jul 2017, at 07:55, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
    >
    > There is or was Ilford Delta 400 a tab grain film which is great. And
Hp5 a more traditional film.
    > I always use tab grain films they are twice as sharp and twice as fine
grain as traditional films.
    > One of the few films I never has any luck with was HP5. IN any
developer dilution combination, I ever tried it with.
    > Delta 400 with Xtol 1:3 will make people think you are shooting a 100
film or slower.
    > Tri x has been reformulated since I last used it. I last used it in
1999 and the tab grain films ?Neopan 1600 and 400? put it to shame.
    > I?ll never use it again. Another reason is the cloying adulates it
gets on internet chat lists from people who couldn?t find themselves in or
out of a darkroom.?
    > It was invented in 1955. Way past the golden age of black and white
photography so if you want that don?t use Tri x.

<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of dankhong