Subject: [Leica] B&W developers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 03:17:53 -0400

Don as you know I?m with you on the Xtol 1:3 it was my developer of choice
too but an impressive article was written on Rodinal 1:25 stating the
results were indistinguishable from D76 1:1 making for a hugely cost not
effective situation. It would cost a fortune to pour that much of it in
there. You?re the first person I ever knew to tried it and lived.
Most felt maybe try it at an unpublished compromise 1:75 to tame the grain
ever so much but then went back to 1:100 with all the good big boys (and
girls). Even 1:50 got people scratching their fingers at you and your
prints... Few people who tried it liked it not at full dilution.
1:100 made Rodinal Rodinal just as 1:3 made Xtol Xtol.
Ansel said it didn?t matter which developer you used just as long as you use
it at the right dilution.
(to the effect)

--
Mark Rabiner Rabiner

On 6/14/17, 11:02 AM, "LUG on behalf of Don Dory"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of don.dory
at gmail.com> wrote:

    For easy compensating developing that is not insanely sensitive to time
and
    temperature I would highly recommend Xtol dilute 1:3.  Development time
is
    a little long compared to others but that is why if you miss your temp
by a
    degree and are distracted for thirty seconds you will still have great
    negatives.  Edge detail is good but not Pyro or even some of the lower
    dilutions of Rodinal but much better than the high dilution Rodinal.

    All the best.

    On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Gerry Walden <gerry.walden at
icloud.com>

    --
    Don
    don.dory at gmail.com