Subject: [Leica] Trains of week 12
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 01:51:10 +0100

As a historic rail fan, Ric, I still have a bit of an interest in
trains, and like looking at your rail shots. Your featured shot is my
pick too.

However, as I may have mentioned before, I'm surprised at the poor state
of the permanent way. OK, I appreciate a lot of your shots are on
sidings, and they thus have low speed and less stress, but they do look
very wonky, and seem to have little investment. This is a big contrast
with mainland Europe where high speed rail is a feature.

In an oddity of timing, I've been watching the Masters golf down the
road from you in Augusta, and double screening, so, out of curiosity, I
looked up the membership list of the club, and in addition to the likes
of Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and that sort of affluent individual, I
saw the former president/CEO of Norfolk Southern David Goode is a
member. So rail transport must be very lucrative still, as you certainly
need a large "wedge" to swing your wedge there. Maybe trickle down
economics will straighten out the rail lines for your photos at some
stage in the future :-)

Douglas