Subject: [Leica] Waterproofing - was M8 failure in snow
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 19:21:09 +0000

Yes, Gene, the D4 is a really great camera too, and funnily enough I
DIDN'T buy a Nikon adaptor for my A7II despite having some ok full frame
Nikon lenses. The reason? I'm thinking of getting one.

I've delayed doing so, due to my knee issues, but I visited the theatre
- my ortho-man's one - this morning at 6am and had another couple of
injections in my knees. These bring my total to 20. Unlike the 18
previous ones which were rooster juice, these were steroid ones. The
effect has been immediate. I can now walk without pain. Let's hope it
lasts, as I miss my mountain walking and going up to spectate at my old
sport - mountain running. If I do drop some weight and get a bit  fitter
again, I'll have a D4 on my shoulder as I used to a fair bit of running
shots, and get stuff into athletic mags in the past.

Fingers and knees crossed.

Douglas

On 16/03/2017 16:46, Gene Duprey wrote:
> Douglas, I agree with you on the Nikon/Canon weather proofing.  While I do
> not have a D5, I do have a D4, and it works through anything you want to
> throw at it.  As for the problems Richard and Nathan have had with their
> M8's, I guess Tina and I have just bought the right M8 bodies, as they seem
> to just plug on, wet or dry.
>
> Gene
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Douglas Barry <imra at iol.ie> wrote:
>
>> Out of curiosity, as I have a new Sony, I googled A7ii water damage and
>> saw some horror stories. It looks like I'll have to take more care of it
>> in
>> rain too.
>>
>> My old Nikon F5 which is upstairs in the attic was marvellous in heavy
>> rain, but that was designed as a pro's camera. Other than the top end
>> Nikon
>> D5 or Canon 1DXll, I would imagine that no camera can be said to be
>> monsoon
>> proof. I would be interested in hearing any suggestions for DIY
>> waterproofing.
>>
>> With my Fuji X100S, I used black duct tape to fool potential thieves when
>> I went to the world capital of pickpockets - that's Barcelona, Lluis :-) -
>> and it seems to work as a rain proof cover as well. With the duct taped
>> Fuji, I was regularly approached by people saying "I love those old film
>> cameras"......
>>
>> Douglas
>>

>> On 15/03/2017 04:07, Richard Endress wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you to Tina Manley, I knew you had been rained on at the least, and
>>> Gene Duprey for telling me you had no problems in wet places like Niagara
>>> Falls, that is the performance I expect from an M model Leica. Also for
>>> the
>>> sad news from Nathan Wajsman that he saves his M digital for sunny days.
>>> Interesting note from Ric Carter about wearing his shutters out and
>>> getting
>>> great performance after replacement. I seem to have one that is good on
>>> dry
>>> days.  I think I will wrap it Saran Wrap the next time I go out in rain
>>> or