Subject: [Leica] Cameraquest claim re. Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 Heliar IV M mount
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:44:08 +0000

I have one of the originals which came on a green body I failed to resist.
It is indeed super sharp but is only f3.5, so much easier to make sharp from
an optical design pov.
I know nowadays with modern computer analysis tools fast lenses which are
amazingly sharp are available, but I am old enough to have come from the
time when only the slower lenses were sharpest, and the fast ones were known
to have compromised speed for sharpness!
I have had an apo Summicron on my camera and shot a few frames in dark
conditions where camera shake made much more difference to sharpness than
lens quality.
Frankly with modern digital cameras having splendid light sensitivity this
would be a superb choice if DoF effect isn?t the deciding factor.
I?m going to get mine out again and give it another go - I have far too many
50s to use them all.
cheers,
Frank D.