Subject: [Leica] Mylapore
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:03:36 +0530

Jim, Douglas B, Alan

Thanks for looking.

Douglas, that is ash smeared on the forehead. If it is smeared
horizontally, as in this case, it means that the person is a worshiper of
Shiva, the destroyer, one of the three main Gods in the Hindu pantheon - we
are Shaivites, for example. This set was taken around the Kapaleshwara
Temple, Chennai's largest and oldest temple dedicated to Shiva, supposedly
from the 7th century, though the present structures were all built between
the 17th and 19th centuries. Therefore the photographs in this set will
tend to show only devotees of Shiva.

If the ash is smeared vertically on the forehead (depicting a trident,
actually), it means that the person worships Vishnu, the preserver, another
of the trio, as in this photograph, for example:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/Triplicane/ParthaFestN-20130623-096.jpg.html

For some strange reason that I have not really tried to figure out as yet,
hardly anyone worships Brahma, the creator, and there is only one
functioning temple dedicated to him in the whole of India, in Pushkar,
famous as a tourist destination for its annual camel fair.

Cheers
Jayanand