Subject: [Leica] Article on Photography
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 14:25:32 -0700

There are similar issues in all the arts, and have been since around the
turn of the 20th century. Here, from the opposite side of the fence, is a
summary of a defense of modern "serious" music, written by the noted
avant-gard composer Milton Babbit. In 1958.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Cares_if_You_Listen

Ultimately it is up to us to decide: Is any given artist truly creating a
ground-breaking means of expression, or are they merely following the
latest academic or social/political trend in order to claim legitimacy
and gain a following in the tiny circles where such trends matter, and
where careers are made and broken?

Sometimes the emperor is beautifully dressed.  And sometimes he truly has
no clothes, even if those imaginary garments are certified by the academy.

--Peter