Subject: [Leica] URL: Don McCullin
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 11:53:26 +0100

Thanks for that link, John.

Everytime I see McCullin's images I'm magically brought back to the 1960s
and, ironically - considering some of his more pertinent work is in black
and white - the colour section of the Sunday Times that had such an impact
on me and my family. Of course, that magazine had stunning colour images
including amazing pictures of beautiful models and the glitterati. Jean
Shrimpton looked stunning and was a magnet for us hormone infested
teenagers.

I still remember seeing her and Terence Stamp on the quayside in Bantry,
West Cork back in the early 60s and feeling the magic in what was then the
arsehole of nowhere. When they walked past me on that quay, I almost felt I
had to brush the scattered stardust off my shoulders. Of course, I didn't
have a camera, let alone own one in those days. Later, I borrowed my Dad's
Voigtlander Bessa which I still have.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50543475 at N00/311414532/ is an image I took
from a roll circa 1968 down at our holiday home in Toormore West Cork, and
only developed and printed in 2006 when I started to started to focus on
photography as one of my main hobbies.

Douglas