Subject: [Leica] Global Scotch shortage looms
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 15:45:06 +0100

"Peter Klein" <pklein at threshinc.com> warned

> An on-topic off-topic post, of interest to many here:
> http://www.eater.com/2016/3/7/11172452/scotch-single-malt-shortage-price-surge

Peter, be reassured, Ireland still produces the finest whiskey in the world,
and has the oldest distillery in the world too.

Scotch is a mere parvenu that only gained an entree to US palates after
Ireland had dominated the US whiskey market in the States. Our little local
difficulties from 1916 onwards, and the poor timing for the nascent Republic
of US prohibition, an economic war with Britain, and resultant loss of
export sales leading to the closure of many Irish distilleries at the time,
brought the US switch to scotch.

Don't worry, there's time for you to now try our whiskey!

Douglas

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Global Scotch shortage looms)