Subject: [Leica] Hard drives
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:28:52 -0500

I will add that some lines of HDDs has very bad failure record. For example,
Seagate?s run-of-the-mill 3.5? HDD from the last couple of years had
abnormally high failure rate but their 2.5? drive are pretty good by
comparison. I also had WD HDDs fail on me. Assume it?s going to happen to
you and plan accordingly.

I?ve had 2 disk failures in my laptop while I am on the road. One was a WD
HDD and the other was a SSD. Neither was used ?hard?. I now carry a backup
disk with me whenever I travel.

One last detail for those who are interested, SSDs are more temperature
sensitive than HDDs. If you use them in very hot environments or in poorly
ventilated settings, they will suffer much greater error (and failure)
rates. This I know from frying several SSDs during product prototyping and
has been confirmed by Crucial/Micron.

Backup. Backup. Backup! Your photographs will thank you.

Regards,
Spencer