Subject: [Leica] Hard drives
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 10:11:39 -0800

SSD's wear out over time.  They wear each time data is stored.  There is a
special on-board driver that moderates this action, and basically load
manages where data is written to,  to try to mitigate the problem.
Different brands of SSD have different load managing SW, so buy one with a
good rating.....

It is unlikely you will wear one out if you are careful in what is installed
on the SSD, but it is possible.  If used hard, it will happen more
frequently.....

HDD have a place in this world.  SSDs do too.

HDD rarely go bad from a disc motor failure...  it is usually a problem with
the head actuator or associated electronics.  The terminology is head CRASH,
for a reason.

Brian has written several times about backup strategies.... it might be
worthwhile to review his advice.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Solid state has much shorter longevity.

Dante

wrote:

> Hard drives have a limited life span. Compared to floppy discs they hold a
phenomenal amount of information but because they contain moving parts they
wear out. For me drives last about two years of reasonably hard use. I have
had about five drive failures in assorted equipment in the last ten years.
Surprisingly constant use does not appreciably alter the failure rate. The
lubricants dry up in a stored drive almost as fast as they do in a spinning
one. According to my friends in the computer industry, solid state storage
is the way to go, The other day I bought a 120 GB high speed thumb drive for
about $50 at a computer store. If Edward Snowdon could store years of CIA
and diplomatic messages on a cheap thumb drive I guess it is good enough for
my pictures.

Replies: Reply from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] Hard drives)
Message from dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella) ([Leica] Hard drives)