Subject: [Leica] Hard drives
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 10:22:23 -0500

Hard drives have a limited life span. Compared to floppy discs they
hold a phenomenal amount of information but because they contain moving
parts they wear out. For me drives last about two years of reasonably
hard use. I have had about five drive failures in assorted equipment in
the last ten years. Surprisingly constant use does not appreciably
alter the failure rate. The lubricants dry up in a stored drive almost
as fast as they do in a spinning one. According to my friends in the
computer industry, solid state storage is the way to go, The other day
I bought a 120 GB high speed thumb drive for about $50 at a computer
store. If Edward Snowdon could store years of CIA and diplomatic
messages on a cheap thumb drive I guess it is good enough for my
pictures.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella) ([Leica] Hard drives)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Hard drives)