Subject: [Leica] Old movies
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 18:53:56 -0500

In 1954, just about the time I bought my first M series Leica, I also bought
a Bolex D8-LA 8mm movie camera. If any camera could match the Leica in
precision, it was the little Bolex. My wife and I got married at about the
same time. While I used the Leica for serious work, I filmed our travels,
our children, our hobbies, and our misadventures with the Bolex. After we
viewed the short films a few times I spliced them to the end of a long roll
and put them in a closet. Recently I bit the bullet and had 2400 feet of 8
mm film transferred to video discs. Last summer my wife suffered a mild
stroke that affected her walking ability. This was a serious blow for a
lifelong dancer and skier. As therapy she walks on a treadmill for an hour
each day. To keep her from going batty I put some of the old movie discs on
a TV set visible from the treadmill. And, of course, I watch them with her.

I?ve got to say that old movies are magic. While it is nice to look at
vintage still pictures, nothing beats seeing images move, laugh and play.
Compared with modern videos, old 8 mm films are grainy and have low
definition. They are only 4.5 mm wide images on aged film. Colors have faded
and autofocus and auto exposure was a dream of the futire. But the pictures
move. It?s almost like being there.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] Old movies)