Subject: [Leica] Old movies
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 19:23:57 -0500

Under ideal conditions with vintage Kodachrome, 8mm movies can be really
terrific.  The transfer quality also has some major bearing--many conversion
services just aim a video camera at the screen as the film is projected.

I agree wholeheartedly about the magic of old 8mm movies.  A few years ago
my father's best friend found a ten-minute film shot during a business
conference in 1958, when my parents had been married for four months.  A
frame from that film, showing my mother lounging by the pool with white
sunglasses and ruby red lipstick, is now my cell phone screen image.

The Bolex D8-LA is my all-time favorite Bolex camera.  Small, precise, with
the ability to do fades and lap dissolves.  It also had a behind the lens
selenium meter with a match-needle system, which was far better than most of
the competition, which used crummy adaptor lenses over a fixed-focus lens
with a two-blade aperture.  Bolex only did things first class.  I use mine
from time to time, most recently this past Summer, and get great results.
Unfortunately, these days Double 8 is only available in black and white, and
costs about $40-50 for the film plus processing.

Incidentally, the D8-LA was introduced in 1961, superseding the 1959 D-8L
(which had a different meter design, no backwind capability, and lacked the
built-in 5.5mm lens mask).  In 1954 you could have purchased a C-8 (single
lens) or B-8 (twin lens) camera.  They were the same body size as the later
D8-LA, but lacked a meter and the variable shutter.

Best,
Jim