Subject: [Leica] Buying Leica gear from Hong Kong
From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (Piers Hemy)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 13:31:45 -0000

You have reminded me of the ZD lens I bought over the counter in HK some
years ago, Nathan. It appeared to be completely genuine, from an established
well-known vendor. As with most of the range, the lens was manufactured in
PRC. When I came to register it on the Olympus website, the serial number
was rejected as invalid. Thus, while I knew I would not have the Olympus
European 2-year warranty for a lens bought in HK, I ended up with no
warranty at all.

 I have to assume that as well as outright counterfeiting, there is
off-the-records manufacturing taking place, whereby perhaps an order for a
batch of 1000 ends up in 1050 being produced, and the surplus sold off "from
the back door".

But, since you mention your professional interest, can I ask your reaction
to the advice given here:
<http://www.stopfakes.dk/consumer/consumer-guide/what-is-illegal-in-denmark.aspx>
 which seems to suggest that Denmark has a somewhat relaxed attitude. Or is
it simply that the Danish government admits the reality that other
governments do not, that action against consumer users of counterfeit goods
is unlikely?

Piers