Subject: [Leica] Jag. XK 140
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 23:08:16 +0100

Larry,

I'm not in the market for an XK140 now. At the time I had an Austin Healey
100/6
Rally rep and an MGB GT V8, both of which were a hoot. The XK was something
that
I saw at a small local auction. I was really looking at an XK120 fhc but even
then (and we are talking 25 years ago) it was beyond me.

Peter

On 02/10/2015 15:35, Larry Zeitlin via LUG wrote:
>  Peter,?
> Unless you have a of time and a fat wallet give a Jaguar XK 140 a pass. It
> may be a nice showpiece but it makes a very bad users car. I owned one of
> these, a bright red Jag convertible in the '50s. It may have been fast but
> it was one of the worst engineered cars I ever drove. The engine featured
> three SU carbs, one for each pair of cylinders, that were virtually
> impossible to tune simultaneously. The spoked racing wheels had a tendency
> to pop spokes on fast accelerations. Every time I tromped on the throttle
> pedal I could hear the ping of a spoke popping. The knock off hubs, while
> attractive, were almost impossible to remove. The steering wheel adjusted
> to variety of positions, none of them comfortable. The engine intruded on
> the footwell space requiring you to drive with one leg straight out, the
> other bent to a crouching position. Eventually one of the brakes failed
> and could not be repaired, even by the California Jag distributor. Thr=e
> steering became so terminally loo

 se