Subject: [Leica] Jag. XK 140
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:35:19 -0400

 Peter,?
Unless you have a of time and a fat wallet give a Jaguar XK 140 a pass. It
may be a nice showpiece but it makes a very bad users car. I owned one of
these, a bright red Jag convertible in the '50s. It may have been fast but
it was one of the worst engineered cars I ever drove. The engine featured
three SU carbs, one for each pair of cylinders, that were virtually
impossible to tune simultaneously. The spoked racing wheels had a tendency
to pop spokes on fast accelerations. Every time I tromped on the throttle
pedal I could hear the ping of a spoke popping. The knock off hubs, while
attractive, were almost impossible to remove. The steering wheel adjusted to
variety of positions, none of them comfortable. The engine intruded on the
footwell space requiring you to drive with one leg straight out, the other
bent to a crouching position. Eventually one of the brakes failed and could
not be repaired, even by the California Jag distributor. Thr=e steering
became so terminally loose that the car could hardly be driven in a straight
line. It was a great babe magnet but it was a car that I was afraid to
drive. Eventually I traded the Jag for an Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce at a used
car dealership. The Alfa had its own problems but was a joy to drive. Both
the dealer and I were sure that we had cheated the other. On the other hand,
if you can pick up a 3.8 liter Jag sedan,go for it. It is one of the best
cars I ever owned. It's safer to collect old Leicas than old cars.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Jag. XK 140)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Jag. XK 140)