Subject: [Leica] Sensor corrosion?
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:02:29 +0530

Douglas,

Not German engineering per se, as much as German credibility that is
under siege at the moment!

As far as I am concerned, I will definitely try out the recently
announced Leica AF system - but only if Leica put am authorized
dealership on the ground here in India, which I hear they are planning
to do in partnership with a large luxury goods importer. It is too
much of a hassle to get kinks ironed out otherwise, because, IMHO,
Leica does seem to have proportionately more QC issues than other
systems if you consider the small installed base.

All systems have QC issues to some extent (more with lens tolerances
than bodies in my experience), it is inevitable with electronic
equipment. Finally, it boils down to how fast the QC issues get
resolved for the end user. IMHO, having to send equipment down to
Solms for repair, and doing without for a longish period, which will
definitely be the case for me in India, is a PITA, and a negative to
be considered.

On the reliability of other digital systems - I have just had one
issue with Nikon in the early days of digital with the D70 - which
they repaired free and within 48 hours at Nikon Singapore - the camera
was out of warranty as well. That body is still working today.
Otherwise, my D4 seems to be bulletproof, as it has survived a 10
minute dunking at the bottom of a swimming pool (100% my fault - I
fell in!) and still works flawlessly. It was repaired by a Nikon
authorized service center in Chennai for around USD500, and in a
couple of weeks - great value for as major a problem as you can ever
have. The AF fine tune function that both Nikon and Canon have on
their bodies takes care of 99% of lens QC issues if you are willing to
spare 15 minutes per lens every year, together with a product like
Focus Tune. Maybe this not possible for an RF body, I do not know, but
it surely is a time saver!

Cheers
Jayanand

Sent from my iPad