Subject: [Leica] Some wide angle M glass (CV) on the Sony A7Rii
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:10:15 -0700

The Leica 28 mm f/2.8 ASPH has soft edges on the Sony a7rii.  No good.

Some think it's all about the thickness of the filter stack over the
sensor.  Leica went with a very thin one.  Most others, including Sony, use
a thicker standard.

It may be the Leica will have a monopoly on access to its great, more
symmetrical wide angles.  Maybe this separation gives them something to
continue to excel at -- some distance from the mainstream.

On the other hand, the performance of the wides that are coming out of the
Sony-Zeiss collaboration are setting benchmarks that go beyond what I have
seen on the M side.  The 35mm f/2.8 I shoot with is better than my old 35
mm f/2.8 C Biogon, all things considered.  And, it's worth thinking about
the combination of the 24mm Zeiss Batis (with it's the amazing MTF
performance at f/2) and what appears to be an outstanding image
stabilization system (that does work for the M optics).  I think low light
shooting at 24 mm just took a few steps forward.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com