Subject: [Leica] IMG: Bodyguard
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 21:08:28 -0700

Thanks Jim and Jay.  Jim, this is a journey, and I've still got a lot to
learn.  But I'm finding that the MM seems to "think" like I do.  Everything
I knew back in my M2 and Tri-X days seems to apply, with a few adjustments
here and there (and with the usual digital highlight ceiling proviso).  I
can do very subtle things with curves, levels, dodging and burning to bring
out what I saw. I've done many images in B&W with my M8 and E-M5, but the
flexibility and tonal range and subtlety I get from the MM is a whole
higher level.

I have known since the MM first came out 3 years ago that it was a camera I
wanted. I had a feeling I would take to it. I don't know if it's a
self-fulfilling prophecy, or that the camera really has something in its
silicon innards that's also coded into my synapses. Probably a bit of both.
Leica was thinking about the classic B&W era when creating this camera, and
I think that connection is more than just marketing hype. And I spent my
adolescence and young adulthood cultivating that same sensibility.

Jay, I have 39mm filters in red, orange, yellow-green and yellow--I kept
them from my film days . I haven't had a chance to check out any but the
yellow on the MM yet, but I'm going to. Interesting that on film, the
yellow would often make caucasian skin too light, but so far that doesn't
seem to be the case with the MM.

--Peter