Subject: [Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 16:37:57 -0400

I've been cranking out digital files since 2003 that's 12 years and have not
lost any files than I can think of.  Maybe one image came up wonky once in
my first year from a Digilux 1 which shot jpgs or Tiffs when I  was clueless
with my digital workflow using the software they gave me in the box with the
camera. (Leica).
I've never accidently deleted a week or months worth of files or anything
significant or traumatic but the way I handed my first shots degraded them
as they were re jpeged every time you switched their orientation from
portrait to landscape. So those shots are really not so usable right now.
User error though really..
You see that mentioned as problem with digital archiving. People accidently
deleting stuff. People could accidently start their print file room on fire
there is no remedy for sheer stuipidity.

On the LUG if anyone had a traumatic digital loss no one is talking about
it. Part of that might be just embarrassment for not having backed it up.

By the way putting your pix offsite on some cloud doesn't count when the
company of course at one point decides it bored with the business as of
course that is what is going to happen. If you valued your work you'd have
it sitting next you you at your desk.

But I can tell you one thing I know is true and is a reality when working
with film as I've done most of my life my own darkroom when I was 14 in
1965.
Every roll of film or print we ever made is fading right this very moment as
we speak. Last year those pictures were in better shape. Next year they'll
be in worse shape. Rinse and repeat till infinity.
- next year when I access a digital file it took today or last month year or
decade its going to pop up good as new. Not 99% but 100%.
That's all I know from a dozen years shooting digital and from common sense
and from everyone else I've ever asked or met.
And the image I make from that file with Photoshop having progressed and my
talent with it having progressed and printers having progressed and
galleries on the internet having progressed is going to be a far better
experience and result.

The bottom line is the area  of archivalness is a plus for the digital not a
minus. Its a reason to love digital not be a dinosaur and shoot film.
If you value your pictures and your work shoot digital not film. Not the
reverse.
People will take any fawning aspect of film they can and make it a plus over
digital when most of them are a minus.  Film is in most almost all ways an
inferior process over digital photography. I have not embarrassments or
qualms about taking my digital camera out tonight and shooting pix I'd never
get in a million years shooting film.

I have my digital files right here I'm looking at them sitting on my desk in
WD hard disks. Backups are in the bottom space of this desk they are older
WD hard disks. Smaller ones as I go back in time.
My film and prints and contracts and model releases are in a storage cubical
in Portland and I hope they are ok and the conditions keeping them are not
so bad. 2,895 miles away. Some day or year I'll be able to bring more stuff
back to NY but had I shot it all in digital since day one I'd be in far far
better shape than I am now.

By the way the day I finished college and started out in photography just
about coincides with the first digital picture ever taken. And that was
early December 1975. I remember reading it in the newspaper thinking "I bet
those pictures don't look very good yet". And decided to stay with my Nikons
for the time being and pray for a Hasselblad.

On 5/15/15 2:28 AM, "Nathan Wajsman" <nwajsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Frank, the HD that crashed (as did mine last month) was in use every day.
> My
> backup disk is in use only when I am actually writing to it (and when I
> retrieved the backed-up images onto the repaired HD). Most of the time it
> is
> just sitting there, not plugged into anything. You cannot compare the two
> sitations.

Refreshing the backups more than once a year might be good for my
> local Media Markt but it would be a waste of time and money for
> me.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman