Subject: [Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 06:18:33 -0700

Wrong.. The magnetic bits deteriorate whether you use the device or not.  If
your HDD crashes, it is the same scenario without a backup, and as bad if
you have an OLD backup, as those bits are deteriorating.  Bits are bits.
You can not bring them up from the dead.  Once lost, they are lost.

It is true that you could lose a bit of information that is either
unimportant or relates to some "portrait" of the inside of your camera bag.
I am not debating that here.  I am saying that the magnetic bits do
deteriorate, and a fresh backup is needed to preserve the data, in its
intact state.

It is also true that dependent upon WHICH bits are changed, and what those
bits represent, the result of a magnetic bit ruining all your data, or even
a single image, is debatable. It is also true that the bit that is
deteriorating is in the overhead file information part of your HDD in which
case, the entire HDD could be toast....  It is truly a Russian Roulette
game.

It is up to you whether you wish to play the "game", but refreshing your
magnetic media, even twice a year will take you, in active time spent, about
5 minutes.

This is probably WAY off topic, but if you ran a business, and kept all your
records on magnetic media, and you lost even a single bit of information,
the result could be catastrophic.  Same applies here....

If 5 minutes of your time in setting up an external HDD, and  pushing a few
buttons to refresh it with all your important data, to you, is a waste of
time....   It is your choice.

If you own a business, and keep your records on magnetic media, stop reading
this.  Go get your data refreshed.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Frank, the HD that crashed (as did mine last month) was in use every day. My
backup disk is in use only when I am actually writing to it (and when I
retrieved the backed-up images onto the repaired HD). Most of the time it is
just sitting there, not plugged into anything. You cannot compare the two
sitations.

Refreshing the backups more than once a year might be good for my local
Media Markt but it would be a waste of time and money for me.

Cheers,
Nathan

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..)
Message from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..)