Subject: [Leica] Be a photographer
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 10:52:28 -0400

Richard I started this and I'd not take it personally I'm not aware of it
having anything to do with any post you'd make
My latest thing on this is this.
Yesterday I Wiki'd HCB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Cartier-Bresson
Look at the first sentence.
Henri Cartier-Bresson (French: [ka?tje b??s??]; August 22, 1908 ? August 3,
2004) was a French photographer considered to be the father of
photojournalism. He was the master of candid photography and an early user
of 35 mm film. He helped develop the street photography or life reportage
style, and coined the term, The Decisive Moment, that has inspired
generations of photographers ever since.

Click on " life reportage " its a hyperlink so it takes you to a different
page. That different page is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography
There is no reportage page
On that page do a search for "reportage"
You won't get jack.
And there is no reportage page.
Reportage is a term that wedding photographers use now who want to sound hip
and French.

When I was in school in the early to mid 70's the head of our Media
department was a Documentary guy. He did more motion footage than stills but
still.
We were all steeped in reportage this and reportage that.
The word "street" was really never used. I do think it took a few more years
to catch on in the late 70's early 80's.

I do think the word "street" is vague because its referring to photography
done of the human condition and plenty of of that happens indoors:
Not on streets.
In the forest.
In the sky.
On top of mountains.
So I for one think this abandoning of the word  "reportage"  or documentary
for "street" is a bit arbitrarily inane. Its part of a smug mindset of
vagueness which is going on now. To pretend to communicate when the opposite
is really going on.
Documentary photography and journalism is a thing which goes way back. Why
forget about it and turn it into some hip buzzword?