Subject: [Leica] Be a photographer
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 10:11:42 -0500

I don't have any dogs in this fracas.

Though, due to the volume of books, museum and gallery exhibits, and online
and offline use of the term "street photography," it has come to mean
something quite more specific than reportage, documentary, or photo
journalism ? to me.

For me the term is far more specific and refers to a genre which actually
does specifically focus on pedestrian, urban, street life. And in my mind
actually does have a look of its own; distinct from "travel" photography; or
even documentary work which include photographs made in streets. I don't
confuse "urban warfare photography" with what is and has been called "street
photography."

Reportage, documentary photography, photo journalism, all are terms which
cover virtually any sort of story telling which can take place in deserts,
streets, farm fields, wilderness, outer or inner space ? anywhere there's a
story to tell with pictures.

Street photography, as we've come to know it, is a smaller and more specific
sub genre within those broader categories ? for me ? YMMV

a note off the iPad, George