Subject: [Leica] Lens Choices
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 20:41:37 -0400

" Super-Multi-Coated Takumar" may have been a mouthful but it was on the
lips of all the photo people I knew who hung out at the school darkroom and
all sat at the same table over French fries at the student lounge which was
called the Red Carpet.
This was the lens and camera, a Spotmatic that I used often as I'd check it
out from the school on the weekend. It was so much lighter with far better
ergonomics than my new Nikon f2 with 45mm GN lens which only focused to 3
feet.
We all loved this lens and this camera at my school, Webster College in St.
Louis in the early 70's it was the first to get checked out. A Canon FTb was
the last as it always pulled the film out of the cassette on the last frame.
It also came out in 1971 I see now.
The Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50/1.4 was the first lens anybody
could get their hands on which had this advanced coating which everyone was
very hyped on and was developed by Pentax in conjunction with Zeiss said to
have as many has 6 micro thin coatings the same lens service the idea blew
everybody away.  Its all they talked about in any of the photo magazines..
Was said to ad noticeable contrast to your final image and it turned out to
not be hype.  And contrast by the way is a good thing. The Hasselblad lenses
the next year had T* on them which indicated the same thing though
Hasselblad claimed they'd been doing that previously a bit anyway for a year
previously. Soon any lens which was not super multi coated or T starred was
not worth a hill of beans in this crazy world. Other companies had other
nomenclatures.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Katie+Grace+_amp_+Kristin.jpg.htm>