Subject: [Leica] Any other 280mm f/4 APO users?
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:59:55 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

My 3-cam 280mm f/4 APO requires a CLA every two years (sticky diaphragm,
every two years) and the turnaround is months.  It's scheduled to return
from the latest CLA next week tuesday, six months after I sent it to Leica
USA for service (I called last week and was told OMG that's too long, I'll
bump it to the front of the line and thanks for not yelling).

Six months every two years is 25% down time!  If not for the spectacular
image quality this lens produces I'd have dumped it years ago.  This year I
was prepared, I had sold almost every other lens to pay for a second 280mm
f/4 APO so I could continue making photos without sacrificing image quality.

My question to other 280/4 users: Is a sticky diaphragm every two years
typical?  The optimist in me wants to believe that whatever makes my lens
get sticky so regularly will be fixed this time OTOH I'm not selling the ROM
280 any time soon.

Grrrrr.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento