Subject: [Leica] Bokeh
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 00:16:36 -0400

Along the same lines I thought of it as a rationale for having and using
optics whose specs are really not up to par with current optical technology.
The idea that there is somehow a thing as a lens being "too sharp" and ones
older lens has a more refined look.
Now on the internet when it comes to glass bokeh seems to be the only
consideration. No other aspect of the performance of the lens is barely even
mentions. Glass is bought and sold... Traded on the merits of their out of
focus background rendering alone.
And I do use some glass from a few generations back I just don't kid myself
into thinking that they have superior qualities because in most cases really
they just don't. I use them because I have them. They're there.  My 50 f2
Nikkor is compact and does not get in the way. I get in the mood for manual
focus sometimes. If its a bit soft I can unsharp mask it just a tad more.