Subject: [Leica] Mikado, Señoritas, vocabulary, and respect
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 18:45:37 -0700

It is important to treat everyone with respect. Always.

If you believe that some member of the Lug is using language that is
disrespectful or demeaning, then say so in a private message to that
person. Cultures vary widely, language varies widely, but your opinion
counts.

The word "se?orita" is complex because it has such different connotation
and context in Spain and Portugal than in countries where it is a
borrowed word. When Lluis uses the word "se?orita" it carries very
different connotation than if I were to use it.

What I don't want is wide-open unhappy discussion of highly culturalized
issues on the LUG. If you want a pissing match, there's plenty of space
for that over on the LUG Forum. If you want to tell someone that you
think he or she is being sexist or racist or culturalist, then say so
privately. And you stand to lose nothing by saying it politely.

So let's stop arguing about these impossible issues. An let's all try to
be respectful as we each understand what that means.

Brian Reid
LUG Saloon Keeper

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Mikado, Señoritas, vocabulary, and respect)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Mikado, Señoritas, vocabulary, and respect)