Subject: [Leica] Leica Email on Sensor Cleaning
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 09:15:02 +1000

The Leica digital M cameras of course have much thinner cover glass over
the sensor assemblies than with other designs.
Excessive pressure can crack that cover glass, for example pressing with a
finger tip on a pad to try to scrub off some persistent mark.
Personally I use a CLEAN sensor brush for loose particles (now I have a
rocket blower too) and then if necessary a wet clean. Now I use the
photosol products for that. They have an excellent demo video on their
website on the right way to use swabs as well.
It's funny that there is such a big variation in people's experiences
regarding how much of a problem dust is.
I do much more in studio well stopped down of late which means any speck is
very visible on the plain backgrounds. But my M has done 10,500 frames now
and I have had to clean the sensor cover glass very very few (maybe two or
three wet cleans) times. There is an option to make a simulated view that
exaggerates the size of any specks if you want to be depressed! I find that
an illuminated sensor scope is the perfect tool to see exactly where any
foreign body may be present.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman