Subject: [Leica] Leica Email on Sensor Cleaning
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 15:05:17 -0700

Very interesting....if there is a persistent spot, they use Isopropyl
Alcohol on the end of some "Q-tip" to get the stubborn stuff off.....

I had never heard of this particular cleaning method (Eyelead Sensor
Cleaner), but they are available from

http://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

$50

Just as a point, even sensors that do not have AA filters in front, have
some form of protection from the "elements".....  You can not expose an IC,
which is what a Digital imaging sensor really is, to air, crud, and
humidity.  If nothing else, the tiny wires that connect the IC to the rest
of your camera require this protection.  It is usually a "glass" plate.  The
AA filter is a filter coating on top of the glass..... No coating, no
filter.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

All manufacturers recommend that, they would, wouldn't they - at what they
charge it must be quite a steady source of income. I recently bought what
the Leica technicians use, the Eyelead Sensor Cleaner, and it works very
efficiently and very well - as does my long time cleaning system, the
SensorKlear - on the Fuji X-Pro 1 and the XE-1, which do not have the AA
filter, just like the Leica digitals. The Nikon D800E is less of a risk,
because it does have a filter on the sensor, and basically, you are cleaning
the filter, not the sensor.
The Nikon D810 dispenses with the AA filter assembly altogether. I have been
cleaning the sensors myself ever since I switched to digital with the Nikon
D70, with not a single problem as yet, IMHO, it is a very simple thing to
do.

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Leica Email on Sensor Cleaning)
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Leica Email on Sensor Cleaning)