Subject: [Leica] Leica R system
From: jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Laurel (gmail))
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 18:05:53 -0700

It's painfully obvious why Leica abandoned the R system. The SLR market had
become commoditized by competitors with much lower costs of production.
Modern optical design software and computer aided machining was making it
possible for these other manufacturers to manufacture lenses of extremely
high quality at much lower prices. The advent of the digital SLR would shift
consumer focus from quality and precision to features. Megapixels would sell
cameras now, and some competitors, notably Canon, had the capability to
design and manufacture sensors in house. Competing would also mean somehow
adapting the R lens line for autofocus, and in doing so, the lenses would no
longer have the silky precision feel for which they were so renowned.

Another factor was the global economic downturn. It always makes me smile
when I read forum posts where people say that Leica should have more
reasonably priced products. In fact, they are doing just the opposite, and
rightfully so. In the current market, you have a small group of people who
can afford things like $11k Noctiluxes and $7k camera bodies. And for those
people, the steady rise in prices over the last decade is fairly irrelevant.
They are more than happy to pay those prices in exchange for quality, design
and cache, perceived or otherwise. And they can afford those prices
regardless of the state of the economy, while the majority of consumers
struggle to buy anything at all. In this light, Leica's decision to focus on
these consumers is very sensible.

Focusing on the M line and keeping prices high has numerous advantages:
1. It is the most iconic of Leica products, and stands to benefit the most
from Leica's image and heritage.
2. It is a niche product, so few/no other manufacturers would find it
worthwhile to field a competing product.
3. The experience of using and handling an M rangefinder and its lenses
highlights traditional Leica strengths of quality and precision feel.
4. Sales numbers are naturally lower, so production can always be kept at
full capacity. In times of high demand, customers are waitlisted, futher
enhancing the exclusivity of the product.
5. Customers base is relatively unaffected by economic changes.
6. The higher margins afforded by the M line allow Leica to keep production
in Germany. If you have ever tried to iteratively design and manufacture
something in one place, and manufacture it in a distant place with a very
different time zone, you'll know what a royal PITA it is. Keeping production
in Germany allows them to monitor quality locally, iterate faster on design
and production with people who speak the same language and who work in the
same building. That alone is a huge benefit to the management and employees
in terms of lifestyle. It dramatically reduces all sorts of problems, travel
expenses, frustration, mistakes misunderstandings, and allows everything to
move faster.

If you ask me, Leica is doing exactly the right things. It will be very
interesting to learn more about typ 701 and what it means to their strategy.

--Jim