Subject: [Leica] Leica R system
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 16:24:06 -0700

And so they decided not to compete with the Japanese DSLRs, instead to
compete with the Japanese MF-DSLRs....  A smaller market with entrenched
users, Leica at much higher prices than the competition, and with the 35mm
DSLR's adding capability, more MP and significantly lower prices than the
MF-DSLR.

I do not see a big difference,,,, but then I do not work at Leica.

I always believed the S product family was a competitive/commercial
mistake....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

While Leica Camera wanted to provide a vehicle for the existing R lenses
their analysis was that those people on their own were just not a sufficient
market to make the new camera a commercial success. They elected of course
to proceed with their 'middle format' S system instead. The R10 at a much
higher price would have had to compete directly with the Japanese designs
which dominate the market. At the same time the M9 was in development in
house and concurrent with the S system design and their resources were
stretched. As it turned out the M9 was more successful than was anticipated
and while the S2 camera got to market the (CS) lenses for it were delayed.

Cheers
Geoff

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Leica R system)
Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Leica R system)