Subject: [Leica] Leica's April 24th announcement - place your bets!
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 12:52:56 +1000

And just as with analog cameras there are challenges and characteristics
that need to be understood and addressed.
I certainly did not understand all of the archival implications when I shot
transparency and reversal filmin the 70's and made darkroom or commercial
prints.
Leica uses the DNG raw file format, which is specifically intended to
address that proliferation of  proprietary raw file standards.
You can of course print and archive from your raw files exactly as you did
from film. Only the printing standards and techniques are much better and
with many advantages.
Storage on digital media certainly needs to be maintained and the media
kept up to date. That is normal good practice and there are a number of
options, plus backup, backup...did I mention backup?
Film's a choice because you want to or prefer the 'look'.  Absolutely
nothing wrong with that. M3's and M6's still work!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman