Subject: [Leica] Leila's April 24th announcement - place your bets!
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 16:32:24 +1000

Mark, not quite the full story.
Leica Camera did market a version of a Panasonic four thirds camera for a
period. Presumably it was not sufficiently successful and it was
discontinued.
Four thirds itself is displaced by the micro four thirds standard now in
any case.
Of course they still offer versions of some Panasonic compacts in their
range. I've shot a few hundred frames each with Micro Four Thirds cameras
from Olympus and Panasonic and they do a very good job. They offer some
unique advantages but are not intended to compete directly with full frame
for some applications.
I don't believe that Leica is intending, nor needs to compete with that
Sony though.
It's a bit of a trap to look at cameras just from an M perspective, which
seems to come up in the on-line Leica groups a bit. Everyone wants a
smaller, cheaper (add a list of desired features) vehicle for their lenses
while retaining the M cachet maybe! Leica remains a small niche in the
scheme of things, however they have done better and better from the M9
especially, forward. Guess which company is doing better in their market
niche, Leica Camera or Sony? On impressions Fujifilm and Olympus are closer
competitors with Sony?

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman