Subject: [Leica] Leica 's heyday?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 01:04:48 -0500

I always thought there was a progression from
sheet film use to medium format  to 35mm.
It's finally sunk in that that was not the case.

The Graflex reflex camera in 1898, shot sheet film.
The Speed Graphic in 1912, sheet film. (was more compact and shot wides)
17 years later the Rolleiflex camera out in 1929, roll film medium format
3 years after that The Leica standard in 1932, roll film 35mm

Notice the Great  Depression brought in roll film of both formats about the
same time. Rolleiflex and Leica came out  just three years apart.
At that point it seems sheet film and both formats of roll film were shot
simultaneously by the press photogs. I think the commercial photogs held on
to sheet film. But I bet the Fine Art shooters grabbed onto roll film of
both formats right on.