Subject: [Leica] M4/3 format ascendant
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 00:32:26 -0500

OK lets see I've gone out and spent seven grand usd on a Leica M40 to enable
my tens of thousands of dollars of Leica glass but wait! Its a bit heavy!!
I'll just have to LEAVE IT AT HOME and carry a camera two formats smaller
instead! Nobody can tell the difference right!
NOT going to happen.
And if nobody can tell the difference why am I so heavily invested in full
frame?

By the way there is a format between 2x and 1x corp. and Its 1.5 crop and
remains the most popular selling of DSLR cameras and certainly gives more
bang for the buck than any other format and lits looking like mirrorless
soon too. Many of these cameras exist in systems where you can use your full
frame glass on them. They are nicely just a bit lighter and smaller. They
don't seem like something which came out of a box of Cracker Jacks. And in a
studio strobe or otherwise non low light situation especially where you can
use the lowest iso' s they really may not tell the difference so much. Like
on the beach. At high noon.
But to split that in half and go further smaller with the inane 4/3's format
calling it comparable to the work of top full frame cameras is really too
much.
A really great use for a camera half half frame  (2x crop) is to put in your
jeans pocket like a Minox which it would hopefully be the same size as. Or
the same size more realistically of a Rollei 35. Which come to think of it
is a full frame camera.
In other words a near sub compact format sensor belongs in a near sub
compact camera body..