Subject: [Leica] AF Focusing modes...
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard at sfr.fr)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:38:50 +0100 (CET)

De : "Frank Filippone " <red735i at verizon.net>
A : "'Leica Users Group'" <lug at leica-users.org>
Copie ? :
Sujet : [Leica] AF Focusing modes...

 This is an OT subject for Leica, but with the great knowledge here, it seems
the answer is more easily found.

I use Nikon AF for some things.  While my cameras are not SOTA, they do have
2 modes in AF I wonder about. Continuous AF and Single AF.

Is there anything that indicates that one mode is more accurate than the
other?

On moving subjects I'd consider continuous - some cameras feature
"predictive" autofocus .
Now I read below your grandkids are unpredictable ...

Shooting in bursts works well with kids in many cases - there "only" remains
to select and retain the best afterwards, unless you have disk space in
abundance ....

Second:

What are the tradeoffs of using the mode that allows for firing the shutter
only when in focus

At 1.4 you may have a shot, but not what you had expected; too late!

 rather than the mode that allows for shutter release
independent of AF stability?

at 5.6 and over, the DoF may compensate for AF error and you get the
decisive moment -  I'm thinking FF here, not Dx

Hope this helps
Amities
Philippe

 ( yes, I know the obvious, it is the
subtleties I am looking for info on.)

My images are mostly of my 2 younger grandsons whose movements are ( to say
the least ) unpredictable in 3 dimensions ( maybe 4?) and they never stay
still..

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net