Subject: [Leica] AF Focusing modes...
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:19:06 -0600 (CST)

Hi Frank,

AF-C (Continuous) provides constant focussing while the Shutter button is
pressed half way, or if you use the AF-On button, while it is pressed.  This
allows you to track a moving subject.  It is the only mode I use.

AF-S (Single) will focus the camera only once per press of the shutter
button.  You must re-press the button if you or your subject moves.  I never
use this mode.

You can select how many focus points for each mode.  For erratic moving
children, use AF-C, Your camera should also offer 3D Tracking, which only
works in AF-C, it also uses all focussing points.

Both are equally accurate.

_______________
What are the tradeoffs of using the mode that allows for firing the shutter
only when in focus rather than the mode that allows for shutter release
independent of AF stability?  ( yes, I know the obvious, it is the
subtleties I am looking for info on.)

As to focus priority:  I use Release priority and the AF-On button, which
allows you to focus on the subject ahead of time and then as long as the
AF-On is pressed it will track the subject, and gives you maximum number of
focused images, depending on your burst mode speed.

Focus Mode will only allow the shutter to fire if the subject is in focus,
which is great if the subject is not moving, but terrible if it is moving,
you will miss more shots in this mode.

The AF-On button may be labeled differently on your model of Nikon, but you
should have this capability.  I use this method of focussing my Nikons all
the time.  It allows you to control the focus, not the shutter release.

Cheers,
Gene