Subject: [Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:58:43 -0800
References: <CAH1UNJ3rpUAt8xxnMJdNGC9L_ncq8-ogF2Z1s_xSyqh9yHtR6Q@mail.gmail.com> <1442780B-17BA-4304-953A-58140190E65F@icloud.com> <CAFfkXxtG=Bn6-6KZKazX04TjwgLAeLOW77JZCWEoXSEB97DpJg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh6T-GGohk5c8+wO+TZkFo6SM+h0UpJswVyN3booNh3FVA@mail.gmail.com> <CAFfkXxs=W_0Ps1tUiKRjjdj0yFQXkJwuPOMQu1QiDbZr7X6+hA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh4Gtzd3MfbwwoMk-Ab9rMbGQq8X+AXL=dEMRySgHO9yPw@mail.gmail.com> <0b1301cf2e49$9fe66300$dfb32900$@verizon.net> <CAJ3Pgh6=y+Wv9djZ5eCR8OZ2nK8w+Bvsh7oNksZRCgatSc3Yug@mail.gmail.com> <0bb801cf2ecc$d20c9600$7625c200$@verizon.net>

The Sony a7r focuses at approximately the the f-stop it is set at; it opens
what looks like maybe a half stop more than the shooting aperture.  You can
look at the front of the camera and see the iris opening just a bit when
it's focusing.  It does not open all the way to wide open (f/2.8 for the
35mm FE) for easier focusing and brighter viewing.

So, the a7r is unlike any modern SLR I am aware of.  The typical SLR stays
wide open for viewing and focusing, and then stops down for the shot.  With
an electronic viewfinder, the viewfinder is just as bright no matter how
closed down the iris is, as long as the exposure (iris, shutter and ISO) is
on the mark.  As such, half the reason to have the iris open (viewing) is
eliminated.  The other reason SLRs have the iris open when focusing is to
have the DOF very shallow, so it's easier to focus.  However, this raises
the issue of focus shifting when the iris shuts down.  Sony gave Zeiss one
more variable to forget about (relatively).  Since the focusing is being
done at close to the shooting aperture, Zeiss is free to allow focus
shifting as needed to meet other design parameters.

This is another example of the extent to which the optics and electronics
are being designed as a package.  So, one irony of the Sony is that while
it's able to use legacy glass, it is also going to have optics that are
more tied to the camera than in the past.  As such, I think Zeiss will be
able to produce sharper lenses for less money than could be done when they
had to worry about focus shift issues.

Note that there is an interesting possible future solution to the vibration
-- have the iris do it all.  It can be both iris and leaf shutter.  Some
compact cameras do this.  However, you'd lose legacy glass compatibility
and some very high speeds.  I would not be surprised to see some lenses
with a leaf shutter option.  They are the smoothest shutters.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R)