Subject: [Leica] The Real Cost of Leicas
From: alal at poly.edu (Akhil Lal)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 13:17:04 -0500

"rate of inflation"    =  CPI

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+alal=poly.edu at leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+alal=poly.edu at leica-users.org] On Behalf Of Paul Roark
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:57 PM
To: Leica Users Group
Subject: Re: [Leica] The Real Cost of Leicas

> ... "rate of inflation" ...

That's a phrase that is subject to many interpretations.

I recall when I spent a summer in Alaska in 1969.  People thought I'd starve
on the $300/month stipend.  They cited the cost of milk and beef --
outrageous.  But, what I found is that dehydrated milk was the same cost as
in California, and fresh salmon and crab were cheap.  We lived rather well
on that.

How the "shopping bag" of goods measured is altered regularly from what I
can see.

With cameras that are for hobbies, the amount of disposable income might be
the appropriate thing to look at, and that might indirectly include (in an
inverse relationship) the housing and car costs.  For business, it's really
a question of return on investment.  In that respect, digital has increased
the cost of my "hobby," but it has lowered my "cost of business" (due to
huge productivity gains).

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com