Subject: [Leica] Computer Help
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 14:19:43 -0600

To get to disk management, right click on your my computer icon, and click
manage.

A box will open, and under storage, Disk Management.  You click that, and
some drive maps show up.
Create and format a hard disk partition

To create a
partition<mshelp://windows/?id=75f2da20-91f7-4f31-8e17-798cce2c38c1#gtmt_partition_def>or
volume<mshelp://windows/?id=df2c7238-4d51-40e7-97eb-21244c3fd130#gtmt_volume_def>(the
two terms are often used interchangeably) on a hard disk, you must be
logged in as an administrator, and there must be either unallocated disk
space<mshelp://windows/?id=69780187-5e69-4b78-9efe-c15841324bd3#gtmt_unallocated_disk_space_def>or
free space within an extended
partition<mshelp://windows/?id=f89a592d-5b47-4cc9-b82c-79ed7694bd9a#gtmt_extended_partition_def>on
the hard disk.
[image: Show content][image: Hide content] <mshelp://>

   1.

   Click to open Computer
Management.<shortcut:%25systemroot%25\system32\mmc.exe compmgmt.msc
/s> [image:
   Administrator permission required] If you're prompted for an
   administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
   confirmation.
   2.

   In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
   3.

   Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New
   Simple Volume.
   4.

   In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
   5.

   Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or
   accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.
   6.

   Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to
   identify the partition, and then click Next.
   7.

   In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
   -

      If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format
      this volume, and then click Next.
      -

      To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.
      8.

   Review your choices, and then click Finish.
   Note
   -

      When you create new partitions on a basic
disk<mshelp://windows/?id=c53a9457-393e-479c-83ce-45148b68b915#gtmt_gls_basic_disk_def>,
      the first three will be formatted as primary partitions.
Beginning with the
      fourth, each one will be configured as a logical drive within an
extended
      partition.

 [image: Show content][image: Hide content] To format an existing partition
(volume) <mshelp://>

   Warning
   -

      Formatting a volume will destroy any data on the partition. Be sure
      to back up any data you want to save before you begin.
      1.

   Click to open Computer
Management.<shortcut:%25systemroot%25\system32\mmc.exe compmgmt.msc
/s> [image:
   Administrator permission required] If you're prompted for an
   administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
   confirmation.
   2.

   In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
   3.

   Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.
   4.

   To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog
   box, click OK, and then click OK again.
   Notes
   -

      You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use,
      including the partition that contains Windows.
      -

      The Perform a quick format option will create a new file table, but
      will not fully overwrite or erase the volume. A quick format is much
      faster than a normal format, which fully erases any existing data on
the
      volume.

<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=104288&clcid=0x409>