Subject: [Leica] Computer Help
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 05:58:10 +1000

Hi Tina. I hope that someone more competent than I will respond for you.
You mean a 3 Terabyte  (3000 Gigabytes) drive not a 3 Gigabyte drive

I assume that you have Windows 7 (or Vista)? This can't be done with
earlier windows than that.
For whatever its worth, my understanding is that 2 TB is a limit due to the
way windows deals with partitions.

You need the newest hardware and driver for the storage controller. That is
a chip on the mainboard (motherboard) and the part of windows that uses it.
Unless you have good  technical support to help you, I'd suggest that its
safer for you to not try to upgrade by yourself (although you may only need
that new driver, stuff could go wrong).

In boxes like the Drobo or some external drive cases they use different
controller systems that get around that 2TB limit. My Drobo had 5 x 2TB
drives currently.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman