Subject: [Leica] Computer Help
From: rcmphoto at yahoo.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 12:20:59 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 12/18/13, Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume that you have Windows 7 (or Vista)? This can't be
> done with earlier windows than that.
> For whatever its worth, my understanding is that 2 TB is a
> limit due to the  way windows deals with partitions.

It's a limit for some partition types, but not a limit on physical drive
size.  The worst case is that you may have to use multiple partitions on the
same physical unit....  As I understand it,  most 7 boxes can handle
physical drives up to something outrageous like 256 TB.

I sub-partition drives routinely as it makes it somewhat easier for me to
organize the system.  I've never had any kind of issue with this at all.

The partition reservation thing may be a limit in the JBOD box firmware or
the indexing routines, neither of which I have any experience with.

R. Clayton McKee
PhotoJournalist
from somewhere just south of somewhere else...

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Computer Help)