Subject: [Leica] EVF question
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 11:39:10 +0530

Frank,
Here is Bjorn Rorslett's view (from a paid site) on the new Nikon Df
viewfinder for manual focusing. I have not tried it, so I cannot
personally endorse what he says, but he has been one of the best
reviewers of Nikon gear over the years, giving it as it is, warts and
all:

"The finder of the Df, however, is made to be useful with manual
lenses. The screen is a type B, matte adorned with an outline of focus
points, and while the entire finder gives a clear, crisp and bright
impression as you lift the camera and look into the finder, the view
is no longer overly bright. Instead, the focused plane of the image
snaps in and out of focus as it should do. Exactly how the Nikon
engineers managed this feat of redesign is unclear to me, but the
finder surely works well with say 50/1.2 Nikkor or the 58 mm f/1.2
Noct, to name but a few I tested so far. This focusability extends to
wide fast lenses such as 24/2 or 35/1.4 as well, and fast and long
lenses now is a breeze. It remains to be seen whether the slower
lenses are equally well handled. I had no issues with the 25-50/4 zoom
though and this has been problematic on the DSLRs earlier. Later I
hook up the Df to some of my ?ber-long cannons such as the 800/8 ED,
1000/11 Reflex, or the king of them all, the 360-1200/11. However, on
my current trip the longest lens travelling with me is the Voigtl?nder
180/4 APO again chosen because it has been a difficult-to-focus item."

Cheers
Jayanand

Message from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] EVF question)