Subject: [Leica] Gompas (Monasteries)
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:09:16 +0530

Ric, Gerry, Montie, Alan, Jay, Marc, Douglas
Thanks for looking. I could not decide which "long view" of Chemrey
Gompa worked better, so I bunged both in!

It is a stunningly beautiful place on a scale that is truly awe
inspiring. This too, despite, as I have mentioned before, Ladakh being
essentially a high altitude desert with no vegetation on the mountains
at all. I think the bareness of it all adds to the grandeur! All these
photographs have been taken on the fly when traveling around by car, a
good proportion of them from the vehicle window without even stepping
out - luckily I had a very patient driver, who would stop whenever I
asked him to!

I am planning to go back next year, probably in June/July for a photo
oriented trip, when I can pay more attention to the time of day,
light, etc. It is pretty inexpensive as holidays go to these sort of
areas - it cost less than USD 950 per head for a week, twin sharing,
ex-Delhi, inclusive of air fare from Delhi to Leh and back, a nights
hotel costs in Delhi, accommodation in the best available hotels/camps
with full board in Ladakh, and two chauffeured SUVs at our disposal
for the whole week. The only real requirement is altitude
acclimatization for a couple of days in Leh before venturing anywhere
- or to get acclimatized by driving up from Delhi (3-4 days). Let's
see if it works out.
Cheers
Jayanand