Subject: [Leica] Gompas (Monasteries)
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:21:37 +0530

Ladakh being a Buddhist area is full of monasteries, so much so, I
have always wondered how on earth they all support themselves. I
suppose on donations and Government grants as is usual for these
institutions. There are tons of monks around also, as, at least in
these parts, one of the sons in each Buddhist family becomes a monk,
and joins into a monastery in early childhood, at the age of 5 or so.
Whether this is because of a lack of jobs in this barren place, or a
skewed sex ratio, I do not know. Of course, they keep in touch with
their family, and come back to live with them from time to time, it is
actually analogous to a boarding school. Anyway, we visited a couple,
and saw quite a few - and here are some photographs. Like most
monasteries, they are usually dramatically perched on a peak,
entailing much huffing and puffing to get there:

Shanti Stupa:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130901_0204.jpg.html

Sankar Gompa:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130904_1220.jpg.html

Chemrey Gompa (Long View):
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130903_0629.jpg.html

Chemrey Gompa (Pano Crop):
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130903_0629P.jpg.html

Chemrey Gompa (Short View):
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130903_0624.jpg.html

Likir Gompa:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130831_0188.jpg.html

Prayer Wheel:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130831_0173.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from gerry.walden at me.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] Gompas (Monasteries))
Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] Gompas (Monasteries))