Subject: [Leica] AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:17:27 -0400

And you're right, John, the Pellix as a product of the 60s not 70's. I
thought my long term memory was hanging in there.
My first Popular Photography was 1963.
John I did think the great common denominator is not as with film which was
just shooting at f8 or 11 and it didn't really matter who made the lens or
what it cost.
With digital its just sticking to the lower iso' s.
Shoot at the bottom iso's and you can be shooting with a point and shoot and
nobody knows the difference. Get a light or go to the beach or the
Bonneville salt flats and leave your S2 at home.  Shoot with a camera which
looks like a credit card. Post it. Tell them you shot it with a Leica S2.
See if anyone notices.

The Leica (M) is a camera which in particular needs to be able to shoot
everywhere all the time. Light or dark. In or out. Day or night.
Its really at its core what the camera is all about. Flexibility. Getting
the shot no matter what. Its a street camera. A photojournalist camera.
Sure it can be used for commercial stuff at iso 200 or 100  maybe on a
tripod maybe with a flash and that's just fine its just not its core use for
most users. Not what Leica is all about.

So I DO think the M240 is a VERY BIG DEAL as we can now use the camera as it
was meant to be used. Anywhere any time.
Imagine a Leica M film camera in which you could not shoot Tri x but had to
shoot Panatomic or maybe Plus x? I think it would kind of go over like a
lead balloon.
This seems to be where we've been at till now.
And now is a very good time to be at.

I do think the selling price for M9's will remain Bullish. So its not the
end of the world. Your not going to have to unload it on your blind
grandmother to use the cash for your M 240 piggy bank.

And by the way for someone to say I have to have my own M240 in my hands
clicking away to be able to write this legitimately is nothing short of
nuts.

>>> http://www.imagist.com/blog