Subject: [Leica] Buying Leica.....
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:27:55 +1000

All of those film Leicas are unchanged by the availability of digital
though. They still work the same.
Which digital cameras of any brand at any price are the equal of the best
mechanical bodies from anyone in that " life time service"aspect?. They are
different by definition.
The R system is dead and was announced so almost 4 years ago to the day. I
was there.  I honestly think that there is nothing useful served now by
nostalgia for that system.
The new M from my initial impressions is no R10 either. It is a functional
vehicle for those lenses as are the various adapters and modifications to
other systems. If I owned some of the very best of the R lenses, I would
try to make them work on the M of course. Actually I plan to try for the
exercise in cooperation with Leica here and a fellow LUG man with those
wonderful big lenses.

Otherwise dedicated dSLR systems seem to me to just be the best choice
(unless I could justify the S System but very very few of us can).

I don't know, I just checked and I have made more than 18,000 photos with
my M8 and M9 combined. They just worked without fault and the M9 still
does. My M8 is somewhere out there in the world, I have no clue.

My entirely mechanical high end M lenses make wonderful photographs if I do
my part but two of the best have required adjustment, one twice since I
used it and handled it enough over five years of so to put it out of spec
apparently.

*Dear Ex-Prime Minister and colleagues........Cowards!*

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman