Subject: [Leica] photographer sued
From: bcaldwell51 at earthlink.net (Bryan Caldwell)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 16:10:19 -0700

I hope all will forgive my longtime absence from the LUG - actually, more
silence than absence, but as a lawyer and law professor in California I
might be able to shed a little light here. Keep in mind that the U.S., like
Great Britain, is a common law country - not everything is statutory - so
what seem like simple questions often have very indefinite and complex
answers. Civil liability can be imposed by statute, but it also can arise
through the common law history of court decisions. And, even if imposed by
statute, the statute in question is subject to constitutional challenge.
These types of cases have often ventured into First Amendment issues of both
freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Also, the case in question is in
New York and this type of liability (assuming we're not venturing into
copyright issues) could be drastically different from state to state. But,
it wouldn't surprise me if California and New York had very similar law in
this regard.

I can only speak to California law. In the year following the death of
Princess Diana, the California Legislature enacted California Civil Code
section 1708.8 (the current version went into effect two years ago), which,
so far, has been upheld by the California courts. Keep in mind that
California is a hotbed of Paparazzi activity. 1708.8 has two relevant
subsections which are interrelated . Pay very close attention to the exact
language:

(a) A person is liable for physical invasion of privacy when the defendant
knowingly enters onto the land of another person without permission or
otherwise committed a trespass without permission or otherwise committed a
trespass in order to physically invade the privacy of the plaintiff with the
intent to capture any type of visual image, sound recording, or other
physical impression of the plaintiff engaging in a personal or familial
activity and the physical invasion occurs in a manner that is offensive to a
reasonable person.

(b) A person is liable for constructive invasion of privacy when the
defendant attempts to capture, in a manner that is offensive to a reasonable
person, any type of visual image, sound recording, or other physical
impression of the plaintiff engaging in a personal or familial activity
under circumstances in which the plaintiff had a reasonable expectation of
privacy, through the use of a visual or audio enhancing device, regardless
of whether there is a physical trespass, if this image could not have been
achieved without a trespass unless the visual or auditory enhancing device
was used.

The meaning of the "vague" terms, "reasonable person, " "offensive,"
"reasonable expectation of privacy," etc., with regard to a particular set
of facts, would likely be decided by a jury.

So, the end result is that a picture of a protected activity taken with a
telephoto lens (a "visual enhancing device") while not on the plaintiff's
property, could still lead to liability if the picture could not have been
taken without the telephoto lens without committing a physical trespass. For
those who think this is all semantics, try writing a statute that takes into
account all foreseeable possibilities and technologies. It's not easy and
the result is rarely simple.

The other significant factor about section 1708.8 is that it can result in
treble damages, a civil fine of $5,000-50,000, punitive damages (when done
commercially) and disgorgement (to the plaintiff) of any resulting profits
from sale of the images.

But, having said all that, it still would appear to me that, under the right
circumstances, this statute might be very susceptible to challenge as
violative of the First Amendment. For some time in the U.S., invasion of
privacy actions have been on the wane in favor of freedom of speech and
freedom of the press.

Sorry to go on so long,

Bryan